I love attending the ballet so when I saw this book on Kindle I had to get a copy. It is a psychological thriller in a graphic novel format. Corpse de Ballet was published about a month ago in July 7, 2026 and it is magnificent. The book is author Megan Kearney's first solo graphic novel.
The publisher's summary:
Arriving at Saint Anselmus in the middle of the year, Rosamund Hammond is ready to practice hard and prove she deserves to be there. But something at this boarding school doesn’t feel right. It turns out that just before Rosamund enrolled, a student disappeared without telling anyone. Was it really a leave of absence―or something more sinister? Together with her new roommate, Rosamund spirals deeper and deeper into an obsession with the truth. As the school prepares for its showcase performance of Coppélia, can she commit to her hard-earned ballet dreams while solving the mystery that’s haunting her―or will she lose herself in the process?
As I stated above this graphic novel is a psychological thriller. However, it is a light psychological thriller. There are no dramatic chapter endings but rather we see the main character Rosamund spiraling downwards throughout the story. Her roommate Eugenie tells her a tale about Eugenie's former roommate Giovanna dying at the school which is not true but Rosamund doesn't know this fact. Rosamund is led to investigate Giovanna's murder.
Each chapter begins with a ballet pose, first position, second position, etc. . . I thought this was a nice touch by the author who, incidentally, is not a dancer. All of the drawings are colored in blue and white, a color scheme I like. It reminded me of Do Admit, a biography of the Mitford sisters. The characters are multidimensional. All of them have secrets in their past they try to cover up. None of these secrets are all that important but to a teenager desiring to be a star ballerina, they are extremely important. The dancers fear anything negative in their past will prevent them from having good careers.
Our heroine Rosamund began studying at the school just one semester from high school graduation. She feels inferior for several reasons. One, the other students whisper about her being a late scholarship award winner. In Rosamund's mind, she agrees with them. She also has to work harder in order to catch up with the level of the other students. While Rosamund is talented, she needs plenty of instruction. Her roommate, Eugenie, is a bitch who isolates Rosamund by encouraging her to stay away from the other students because, well, they are bitches. Eugenie is a fantastic villain. She has no problems with lying all day and every day. She is Rosamund's best friend until the time comes for the senior showcase performance where future careers are on the line.
Throughout the story we read about the Coppélia ballet story on and off. I thought this was a nice hook for the story. It was an engaging story that I thoroughly enjoyed. 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:
Post a Comment